The Taliban said it was withdrawing from the city of Kunduz, where it briefly fell to insurgents last month, where an Afghan official said life was returning to normal.
Taliban spokesman Jabihullah Mujahid said in an email to the media on Tuesday that the militants were retreating to avoid further civilian casualties.
Hamdullah Tanishi, governor of Kunduz province, said shops and markets in the city had reopened and residents were leaving their homes. He suspects some insurgents are in the city and says troops are constantly searching and conducting clear operations.
The Taliban attacked Kunduz on September 28 and occupied the city for three days. The exact number of dead and injured is not clear, but is believed to be in the hundreds.