Assamkar woman commits suicide at police station after delay in FIR over rape



A 55-year-old woman committed suicide by drinking poison at a “police station” in Assam on Saturday after an FIR was lodged following a rape complaint. However, police said no suicide note has been found so far.

In response, Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav called for stern action against the culprits and said the incident was a slap in the face to the BJP government in the state.

The woman is accused of raping and physically assaulting a 53-year-old man and another unidentified man on Oct. 5.

Azamgarh SP Sudhir Kumar Singh suspended the station house officer of the police station concerned for negligence.

The SP denied that the woman had drunk poison on the police station premises. He told reporters that the victim had lodged a rape complaint and an investigation was underway. Police said a case would be registered against the accused as well.

Her husband said he had identified one of the accused, but police did not take any action, citing PTI news agency SP Singh.

According to the PTI, she said her husband had committed suicide at the police station.

According to the PTI, the victim’s family has repeatedly appealed to the police for justice, but to no avail.

Police said the woman was lying unconscious at the gate of the police station on Saturday afternoon and she was alone. After being taken to a nearby community health center, doctors referred him to the district hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

According to police, the woman arrived at the police station in a Scooty on Saturday and crashed into the gate. He was taken to a health center, where he was found to have drunk poison.

Another senior police officer said action was taken against the SHO for delay in registering the FIR.

On October 6, the woman visited the police station, alleging that two men with their faces covered had entered her home the day before and dragged her to a secluded spot.

When she tried to fight them, the accused attacked her, removing the scarf from the face of one of the accused during the fight, and she recognized him as her neighbor.

He further added that the accused had raped himself and left the place after threatening to face dire consequences.

The woman described the incident to her husband and then the couple came to the police station to register an FIR.


Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here