AT&T, Verizon, and others will have to pay $ 6 million to resolve 911 calls that failed during the 2020 network outage.

[ad_1]

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said on Friday that four telecommunications providers would pay a total of $ 6 million (approximately Rs. 45,60,81,000) to settle inquiries into compliance with the agency’s 911 reliability rules during a 2020 network failure.

AT&T, CenturyLink, and now Lumen Technologies, Intrado and Verizon Communications will implement compliance programs to ensure compliance with FCC emergency call rules. Lumen will pay $ 3.8 million (approximately Rs. 28,88,51,300) and Intrado $ 1.75 million (approximately Rs. 13,30,23,600). AT&T will pay a total of $ 460,000 (approximately Rs. 3,49,66,210 to settle two trials) while Verizon will pay a settlement of $ 274,000.

“The most important phone call you can make is 911,” said FCC President Jessica Rosenworse. “It is imperative that phone companies prevent these failures as much as possible and provide immediate and adequate notification to 911 call centers when they occur.”

Last month, T-Mobile USA agreed to settle a $ 19.5 million FCC probe after a major crash that led to the failure of more than 20,000 911 emergency calls by 2020.

The settlement was reached through an FCC inquiry into the 12-hour strike in June 2020, which is no. 3 The wireless carrier led to congestion on T-Mobile’s networks and caused “complete failure of 23,000 911 calls”.

As part of the approval order with the FCC, T-Mobile has agreed to issue new commitments to improve 911 malfunction notifications.

The October 2020 FCC report found that calling and texting services across the country had been disrupted by the T-Mobile crash and that access to data services had been found in some areas. As a result at least 250 million total calls failed.

© Thompson Reuters 2021


[ad_2]

Leave a Comment