IPL 2021: Herschelle Patel has led the purple cap race with incredible bowling this season.© BCCI / IPL
The league level of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 saw many great performances even on the bat, ball and field. Delhi Capitals (DC), Chennai Super Kings (CSK), Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) are in the playoffs. Players from all walks of life on both legs of the IPL this season have shown tremendous talent. In the bowling department, Indian and foreign bowlers recorded good numbers in difficult conditions in the United Arab Emirates. Adequate purchases from the wickets were made as the middle-order bowlers and spinners played a major role in determining the outcome of the match.
Here is the view of those who have taken the first 5 wickets so far in the IPL 2021 league stage:
1. Herschelle Patel: Herschel easily found the IPL for RCB this season. His brilliant bowling and clever changes in pace and length helped him pull off even the best batsmen. His 30 wickets in 14 matches is a testament to his consistency and the bowler will be keen to add more to his kitty when the playoffs begin.
2. Avesh Khan: DC was another bowler who made the results when he was in the shadow of bowler Anrich Norze and Kagiso Rabada. With 22 wickets in 14 matches, he is second only to Herschelle Patel in the list of wicket-takers and the final phase of the match could give him more chances to add that number.
3. Jaspreet Bhumra: Bumra will be disappointed to see his team not qualify for the playoffs, but personally, the cracker was at an all-time high with 21 wickets as he bowled well in the death overs and harassed those who tried to take him away.
4. Mohammad Shami: Punjab endured another bad campaign and finished sixth in the points table. However, senior fast bowler Shami continued his good form from the international arena and delivered when it was tough for PPKS. Shami finished IPL 2021 with 19 wickets.
5. Rashid Khan: 6.69 In the economy, Rashid was fifth in the list of wicket-takers with 18 wickets in 14 matches. He made thunder bundles again with his well-disguised googlies and bowled intelligently with subtle variations in speed.
Topics mentioned in this article