Novak Djokovic does not want to miss Australian Open: Tournament captain Craig Dyley

0


Nine-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic will not miss out on winning the record 21st Grand Slam title, tournament captain Craig Dyle predicted on Thursday. All players heading to Australia for this year’s opening match in January must be vaccinated against Kovit, and it is doubtful whether Serbia will play as the world’s number one player. Djokovic, who broke the 21st Slam title, declined to say whether he had been vaccinated.

“He did not share his position with anyone,” Daily told the radio station SEN.

“He believes that what you say about your medical condition is personal, and that people should have the right to choose.”

But Tyley added: “Novak has won nine Australian Open, and I’m sure he’s come in 10th.

“He has 20 Grand Slam titles, the upcoming Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer, one of whom is going to surpass the other.

“I think Novak would not want to leave that record to someone else.

“One thing’s for sure, if he’s playing here in January, he’s vaccinated.”

When asked if Djokovic would come to defend his title at Melbourne Park over the weekend, he said, “We’ll have to wait and see.”

Currently 85 percent of players have got the jab and Daily expects it to reach 95 to 100 percent by January.

“We borrow a lot for it because we need a vaccine for it (coming to Australia),” he said.

Massive challenge

His comments came as the organizers developed what could be played there as Australia gradually loosens state and international borders after long coveted locks, and the season-opening schedule was released after a series of delays.

All Australian Open lead-up events this year took place in Melbourne Park in a bio-safe environment, after which players were isolated in hotels for 14 days.

Returning to the Sydney and Adelaide calendar, it is expected that fully vaccinated players will be able to enter Australia by 2022 without being isolated or confined to bubbles.

Brisbane, Perth and Hobart, which traditionally host events, missed out on a second year, as did Auckland in New Zealand.

“It’s not news to anyone that the different rates of infection, closed ranges and vaccinations have created a bigger challenge for us and have led to changes, especially for the summer,” he said.

“That’s why we waited as long as we could to maintain optimal conditions for the players and fans in as many places as possible.”

The men’s ATP Cup was won this year by a relentless Russian team led by Daniel Medvedev and Andrei Rublev.

It will be followed by the Sydney Tennis Classic, ATP-WTA event for men and women next week.

promotion

Top tennis returns to Adelaide for a fortnight from January 2 with a combined competition for men and women.

There will also be action in Melbourne with three matches, two WTA and one ATP, from January 3-9, ahead of the Australian Open, which starts on January 17th.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here