Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has appointed a team to investigate a U.S. airstrike in northern Kunduz that destroyed a hospital and killed at least 22 people, his spokesman said Saturday.
Khan’s deputy spokesman, Jaber Hashemi, said the five-member team would leave for Kunduz on October 3 to find out the cause of the airstrikes on a trauma center run by the international charity Boundaries Doctors.
The team, led by Amrullah Saleh, the former head of the National Intelligence Agency, will report to the president. Gen. John F. Kennedy, commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. According to Campbell, the Afghan ground forces demanded an air strike, but mistakenly attacked the hospital. The blast lasted about an hour and the main building of the hospital collapsed. President Barack Obama has apologized and the U.S. military is investigating. The hospital was abandoned.
Doctors without borders said 12 staff and 10 patients, all of them Afghans, were killed. All the international countries are taken into account but many are still missing.
His office said Gani met with representatives of doctors across the border on Friday.
He told the group’s director general Christopher Stokes and Afghanistan’s envoy Gilhem Molini that he had ordered the Afghan security forces to ensure the security of humanitarian organizations.
Doctors without borders, especially the Swiss-based International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission, are involved in the independent investigation into the incident — including diplomats, legal experts, doctors and nine military officials. European countries, including Britain and Russia. It was created after the 1991 Gulf War and never used fact-finding.
Stokes has previously said that Doctors Without Borders — the Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization that provides medical assistance in conflict zones — is awaiting replies to letters sent Tuesday to 76 countries that signed the Geneva Convention on the Protocol. Brokerage.
For the IHFFC to mobilize, the single nation must call for fact-finding, and the United States and Afghanistan — the non-signatories — must approve.
Meanwhile, the situation in Kunduz is deteriorating as government forces continue to fight to destroy the remnants of the Taliban in the city and its suburbs.
A spokesman for the provincial police chief, Sarwar Hussaini, said three parts of the city had been recovered overnight, although the gas station at Cher Tarak had been destroyed by rockets. Husseini said he did not know which side was responsible.
Abdullah, a resident of Kunduz, gave only one name, saying people were still leaving the city for safety. He said he saw grocers emptying food stores to take home.
The World Food Program said it was feeding thousands of people in camps in other cities in the north and that “more wheat is being milled in anticipation of increasing demand in the coming days.”
Residents said food and water were still not available, and the city was without electricity.
“The whole city is empty of people,” Abdullah said. “Residents still don’t feel safe.”